Whether in high school or college, opinion writing prompts will follow you. This essay type is a must to master:
Teachers will assign oped papers to check your critical thinking skills. They want to ensure you know how to build arguments and prove your point of view. Academic writing skills are also here: Opinion essays have a structure (1) to follow.
In this article, you’ll find a massive list of good opinion essay topics and ideas to consider for your work. All are strong, divided by subject, and with actionable writing tips to get an A+ for your piece.
What Is an Opinion Essay?
An opinion essay is a college paper where you form and share your thoughts on a prescribed or chosen topic. Backed with arguments, it explains your point with facts and examples.
Op-ed essays are formal, representing an author’s personal take on a specific subject. They aren’t about college work only. You could see op-ed posts on social media or journalistic articles in newspapers.
In academia, you’ll also need to mention the opposite point of view in opinion essays. The final paragraph before a conclusion should contain counterarguments (for a fuller discussion).
How to Choose Good Opinion Essay Topics
While teachers can assign a topic for op-ed writing, college students often have freedom of choice here. And that’s where a challenge comes in:
How to choose a good opinion essay topic? How to ensure it’s controversial enough to trigger a discussion? Is it possible to know of it gives you enough argumentation and evidence to support your point?
What is a Good Topic for an Opinion Paper?
Good opinion writing topics have 3 specific characteristics:
- They allow you to develop a strong thesis statement (2).
- You can find enough facts to support your point: examples, reliable sources, quotes, etc.
- They have opposite viewpoints. Avoid topics presenting the ultimate truth: There’s nothing to discuss there.
How to Choose Your Perfect Opinion Writing Prompt?
Opinion essay topics are many. Follow these 5 steps when choosing yours:
- Recheck the requirements. How long should your essay be? Do you need to cover a single issue or discuss a few? Depending on the prompt, not all topics may appear to be appropriate.
- Consider the audience. Who’ll read your paper? Do you write for everyone or a specific group? Choose topics that are relevant and interesting to whom you’ll write.
- Remember about your interests, too. Consider issues of your knowledge and passion. Write about something bothering or exciting you: Such opinion essay topics are easier to craft.
- Recheck the essay’s purpose. Will it educate, persuade, or entertain readers? It can help you narrow down the topic choices.
- Do pre-research. Check if you can find enough sources with reliable information on your chosen topic. Will you have evidence to support your point if writing on this?
150 Strong Opinion Essay Topics by Subject
- How have the achievements and practices of civilizations like the Greeks, Romans, or Egyptians shaped our contemporary world?
- Should statues and monuments of controversial historical figures be removed?
- Discuss the often overlooked contributions of women throughout different historical periods and their significance in shaping society
- The lasting effects of colonialism on both colonized nations and the colonizing powers
- The Industrial Revolution’s Impact on Society: The positive and negative consequences on economic, social, and environmental aspects of human life
- The Lessons Learned from World War I and World War II
- Was the colonization of new lands driven more by economic gains or the pursuit of knowledge and adventure?
- The ethical implications of revising history to fit contemporary narratives
- The Civil Rights Movement’s Lasting Effects
- The Cultural Impact of the Renaissance: How it transformed art, literature, science, and philosophy
- The Impact of Literature on Empathy and Understanding
- Classic Literature vs. Contemporary Fiction: Which Offers a More Relevant Perspective on Modern Society?
- How Authors Use Symbols to Convey Deeper Meanings
- Analyzing the Intriguing Technique of Narrative Unreliability in Literature
- The Importance of Representing Different Cultures, Identities, and Experiences in Literature
- The Art of Storytelling: How Oral Traditions Have Shaped and Influenced Written Literature.
- How Books Challenge and Shape Cultural Perceptions
- The Influence of Literature on Social Change: Examining the Role of Literary Works in Driving Movements
- Is Traditional Reading Threatened or Enhanced by Technology?
- The Enduring Appeal of Dystopian Fiction: Why Are Readers Drawn to Imagined Bleak Futures?
- The Role of Individuals, Governments, and Businesses in Addressing the Global Crisis
- Balancing Economic Growth and Environmental Conservation
- Exploring Effective Strategies to Reduce Single-Use Plastics and Their Devastating Impact on Marine Life
- Is a Complete Transition to Renewable Sources Feasible and Realistic in the Near Future?
- The Ethics of Animal Agriculture
- How Can We Preserve Earth’s Ecosystems and Prevent Mass Extinctions?
- The Consequences of Expanding Cities on Wildlife and Ecosystems
- Assessing the Importance of Teaching Future Generations about Ecology and Sustainability
- The Role of International Agreements in Environmental Protection: Are Treaties like the Paris Agreement Effective Enough?
- Is Individual Consumer Choice an Adequate Strategy for Promoting Environmental Responsibility?
Opinion Topics on Politics
- The Erosion of Trust in Political Institutions: The Causes and Consequences for Democracy
- Populism in Modern Politics: Is it a Legitimate Expression of the People’s Will or a Threat to Democratic Values?
- Assessing the Role of Mass Media in Shaping Public Opinion and Policy
- The Role of Social Media in Political Activism
- Does Ideological Division Strengthen or Weaken Democracy?
- Debating the Merits and Drawbacks of Prioritizing National Interests in an Interconnected World
- The Electoral College Debate: Should the United States Retain or Abandon this System for Presidential Elections?
- Freedom of Speech in Political Discourse
- Environmental Politics: Can Global Cooperation Lead to Effective Climate Change and Sustainability Solutions?
- Examining the Impact of Young Activists and Leaders on Policy and Governance
- The Purpose of Education: Should the Focus be on Job Preparation or Holistic Personal Development?
- Online Learning vs. Traditional Classroom Education: Which Offers a More Effective and Engaging Learning Experience?
- Standardized Testing: Does it Accurately Assess Student Learning or Inhibit Creativity and Critical Thinking?
- The Benefits and Challenges of Integrating Students with Special Needs into Mainstream Classrooms
- How Much Responsibility Should Educators Have in Shaping Students’ Values and Morality?
- Is Adequate Investment in Education a Necessity for Societal Progress and Equality?
- Does the Integration of Technology Enhance or Detract from the Learning Process?
- Discussing the Importance of Teaching Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills
- Homeschooling vs. Public Schooling: Exploring the Benefits and Drawbacks of Different Approaches to Education
- The Value of Continuous Education Beyond Formal Schooling and its Impact on Personal Growth
- Cultural Appropriation vs. Cultural Appreciation: Navigating the Fine Line Between Honoring and Exploiting Other Cultures
- How Digital Connectivity Shapes Modern Cultural Norms
- Can Traditional Practices and Heritage Survive the Impact of Globalization?
- The Importance of Representing Different Cultures in Literature, Music, and Visual Arts
- Examining the Role of Language in Preserving and Transmitting Cultural Heritage
- The Significance of Cuisine in Expressing and Maintaining Cultural Identity
- Cultural Diplomacy: How Can International Exchange of Arts and Ideas Promote Peace and Understanding?
- The Role of Pop Culture in Shaping Societal Norms
- Indigenous Rights and Cultural Sovereignty: Exploring the Struggles for Autonomy and Recognition
- How Art and Media Reflect Changing Perceptions of Gender
- The Influence of Genetics and Environment on Human Behavior and Development
- The Stigma of Mental Illness: Discussing the Social and Cultural Barriers to Understanding and Acceptance
- Is the Pursuit of Happiness a Realistic and Worthwhile Goal for Individuals and Society?
- The Ethics of Psychological Research: Balancing the Benefits of Knowledge with the Rights and Well-being of Participants
- The Impact of Childhood Trauma on Adult Mental Health
- The Role of Social Media in Shaping Self-Perception and Mental Well-Being
- Psychotherapy vs. Medication: Evaluating the Effectiveness and Suitability of Different Treatment Approaches for Mental Health
- The Psychology of Prejudice and Discrimination: Unpacking the Cognitive and Social Mechanisms Behind Bias
- Analyzing the Benefits and Challenges of Incorporating Mindful Practices into Daily Life
- What Drives Human Behavior and How Can We Cultivate Long-lasting Motivation?
Personal Opinion Essay Topics
- The Importance of Self-Care
- Analyzing the Challenges of Achieving a Healthy Work-Life Balance
- Overcoming Self-Doubt and Building Self-Confidence
- The Impact of Social Media on Self-Esteem: Examining How Online Platforms Influence Self-Perception
- Managing Stress in the Modern World: Coping Mechanisms and Strategies for Stress Reduction
- What Does True Happiness Mean and How Can It Be Achieved?
- How Challenges and Setbacks Can Lead to Positive Transformation
- Discussing the Role of Communication and Boundaries in Maintaining Healthy Relationships
- Decision-Making and Values: How Personal Values Shape Choices and Life Pathways
- Resilience and Overcoming Trauma: How Individuals Can Heal and Thrive After Difficult Experiences
- The Balance Between Civil Liberties and National Security.
- Criminal Justice Reform: The Urgent Need for Overhauling the Legal System to Achieve Fairness and Equity
- Is the Death Penalty an Effective Deterrent or a Violation of Human Rights?
- Gun Control: Navigating the Fine Line Between Second Amendment Rights and Public Safety.
- The Role of International Law in Global Affairs
- Privacy in the Digital Age: Analyzing the Legal and Ethical Implications of Data Collection and Surveillance
- Balancing Incentives for Innovation with Accessibility to Knowledge and Creativity
- Weighing the Pros and Cons of Legalizing Controlled Substances for Recreational or Medicinal Use.
- Exploring the Limits of Freedom of Expression and the Need to Prevent Harmful Rhetoric
- How Can Legal Regulations Encourage Sustainable Practices and Protect the Planet?
- The Power of Media in Shaping Public Opinion
- How Online Platforms Contribute to Fragmented Public Opinions and Political Divides
- Trust in Institutions: Exploring the Erosion of Trust in Government, Media, and Other Institutions and Its Implications
- The Role of Public Opinion in Policy Making: Should Governments Prioritize Public Preferences or Expert Advice?
- Examining the Impact of Public Attitudes on Evolving Cultural and Legal Norms
- The Influence of Celebrity Endorsements on Public Opinion: Do Celebrity Opinions Really Matter?
- How Grassroots Movements Shape Public Policy and Corporate Practices
- Investigating How Online Discourse Shapes and Reflects Public Views
- Public Opinion and Human Rights: Can Public Sentiment Drive Positive Change or Lead to Tyranny of the Majority?
- Discussing the Benefits and Dangers of Measuring and Manipulating Public Sentiment
- Exploring the Balance Between State Neutrality and Protection of Religious Liberties
- Religious Pluralism: The Challenges and Benefits of a Diverse Religious Landscape in Modern Society
- Analyzing How Religious Beliefs Influence Political Decision-Making and Policy
- The Role of Religion in Ethics and Morality
- Debating the Validity and Impact of Non-religious Worldviews on Individuals and Society
- How Different Religious Traditions Treat and Affect Gender Roles
- Navigating Conflicts Between Religious Beliefs and LGBTQ+ Rights
- How Do Religious Doctrines Adapt to Changing Social and Scientific Realities?
- Religion and Science: Exploring How Religious and Scientific Beliefs Can Coexist or Conflict.
- The Influence of Religion on Healthcare: The Intersection of Religious Beliefs and Medical Treatment Choices
Opinion Prompts on Sports
- Gender and Wage Equality in Athletic Competitions
- The Impact of Sports on Youth Development
- Performance-Enhancing Drugs in Sports: Exploring the Ethical and Health Implications of Doping
- How Athletes and Sporting Events Can Influence Societal Attitudes and Norms
- Should Student-Athletes be Paid for Their Contributions to Collegiate Sports?
- Sports Fandom and Identity: Examining How Sports Affiliations Shape Personal and Collective Identities.
- The Influence of Sports on Mental Health
- Are Ethical Conduct and Respect for Opponents Eroding in Modern Sports?
- The Role of Sports in Promoting Inclusivity and Diversity: Can Sports Break Down Societal Barriers?
- How International Sporting Events Can Foster Patriotism and Unity Among Citizens
Nursing Essay Topics
- The Nurse-Patient Relationship: The Importance of Trust, Communication, and Empathy in Healthcare
- Discussing the Impact of Staffing Levels on Quality of Care and Patient Outcomes
- The Benefits and Challenges of Incorporating Advanced Tools and Systems in Nursing
- How Should Nurses Navigate Moral Dilemmas and Conflicts in Clinical Practice?
- The Importance of Cultural Competence in Nursing: Addressing the Need for Sensitivity to Diverse Patient Populations
- Nurse Burnout and Self-Care: Analyzing Strategies to Prevent Burnout and Promote Mental and Physical Well-Being
- Nurse Autonomy and Collaborative Care: The Balance Between Independent Judgment and Teamwork
- How Can Continuous Learning Enhance Patient Care and Professional Growth in Nursing?
- The Role of Nurses in Public Health: Discussing Advocacy, Health Promotion, and Disease Prevention
- Navigating Ethical, Legal, and Emotional Challenges When Caring for Dying Patients
- Exploring Different Philosophical Perspectives on the Purpose and Value of Human Existence
- The Moral Implications of Advancements in Artificial Intelligence and Biotechnology
- Free Will vs. Determinism
- The Problem of Evil: Analyzing the Coexistence of Suffering and the Existence of an All-Powerful, Benevolent Deity
- Examining the Philosophical Inquiry into the Nature of Reality, Perception, and Existence
- Can We Find Universal Moral Principles or Are Ethics Culturally Relative?
- Investigating the Relationship Between the Mind and the Body, Consciousness, and Identity
- The Social Contract: How Can Political Philosophy Inform Our Understanding of Government, Rights, and Citizenship?
- Exploring Philosophical Foundations for Our Moral Responsibility Toward the Natural World
- Discussing the Role of Authenticity and Individual Choice in Shaping One’s Life
- Analyzing the Causes and Consequences of Disparities in Wealth and Opportunity
- Homelessness and Affordable Housing: Strategies to Address the Growing Homelessness Crisis
- How Can Society Break Down Barriers to Seeking and Receiving Mental Health Support?
- Exploring the Effects of Digital Connectivity on Human Interaction
- Education Disparities: Factors Contributing to Unequal Access to Quality Education.
- Discussing the Importance of Empowering Young People to Participate in Civic Life
- Criminal Justice Reform: Racial Bias, Mass Incarceration, and Police Accountability Issues
- LGBTQ+ Rights and Acceptance: Analyzing Progress and Challenges in Achieving Equality and Inclusion
- Ageism and the Elderly: Exploring How Societal Attitudes Affect the Well-being and Treatment of Older Adults
- Navigating the Complexities of Integrating Immigrants and Preserving National Identity
Opinion Essay Writing Tips: Start With Easy Prompts
When choosing opinion essay topics, remember you’ll need to structure your paper on it. It’s an academic paper, so please follow the format requirements. Also, you’ll need to cover all the questions related to your chosen topic.
The below writing tips will help ensure you’ve chosen a proper op-ed idea for your essay:
- Brainstorm several topics before writing. Which one does meet the prompt’s requirements best?
- Research. Are there other people investigating and discussing your chosen issue? Will you have enough supporting evidence to use throughout the paper?
- Choose a side. What point of view will you support about the topic?
- Develop a strong thesis and think of arguments you’ll use to prove it.
- Remember to mention an opposite viewpoint. What counterarguments do your opponents have? Choose controversial topics, open to discussions.
20 Opinion Topics to Practice Your Writing Skills
Below are 20 elementary topics teachers assign for 5th-grade or for middle school students. They are easy opinion essay topics to practice writing. Also, they are great to consider when you have no idea what to write about in your piece:
1. Should students have to wear school uniforms? 2. Is homework beneficial, or should we cut it? 3. Do video games have a positive or negative impact on young people? 4. Should we ban junk food in schools? 5. Is it essential for kids to have a pet? 6. Should schools have a longer or shorter summer vacation? 7. Are books better than movies for storytelling? 8. Should teachers allow students to use phones in class? 9. Is it better to be an only child or have siblings? 10. Should they make students learn a second language in school? 11. The best season of the year. 12. My favorite book/movie and why I love it. 13. The importance of eating healthy foods. 14. The benefits of having a pet. 15. My favorite hobby and why I enjoy it. 16. Why recycling is important. 17. The best place to go on a vacation. 18. The importance of being kind to others. 19. My favorite subject in school and why I like it. 20. Why I believe in the importance of helping the environment.
Opinion Essay Topics: Choose Yours And Get A+
So, now you have them: 170 topics for opinion writing! Choose yours:
- Consider the prompt requirements and the target audience of your paper.
- Check if you have enough arguments and evidence to state and support a thesis in the paper.
- Choose a topic that interests you but with counterarguments to add to a paper for discussion.
Which opinion essay topics from the list above have you already covered? And which one would you choose for your next paper or article?